Tuesday 23 June 2015

How to start running (and never stop)


Let me start this post by saying that by no means do I class myself as an excellent or highly experienced runner. I haven't run any marathons, or half-marathons for that matter, and I've only been running for about two years which is apparently quite a short period of time in the running world. However, I think what I am able to offer is a 'normal' person's view of the exercise and how I genuinely believe that anyone can start running and learn to love it. Sound too good to be true? Read on!

I think there's this assumption that to be a runner, you have to be naturally sporty and fit. I can tell you now that, in my case, that idea could not be further from the truth. I began running during my year abroad in France because with no internet connection and a lack of a social life, I needed to fill my time and also find an outlet for the stress and anxiety that came with moving countries. I found this in running. Sure, I'd tried to get into it in previous summers and loved seeing an improvement but I gave up pretty quickly. It was always easier to sit in and eat (because I've always loved food) rather than to get out running. Nevertheless, I kept at it in France. Probably driven by my situation, I started around October time and shortly I was going about three times a week.

Knowing that I had to run past the school children (including some of those I taught) or that I would have to get up early to avoid them almost hindered my motivation. But I think the key to combatting excuses and discomfort comes with routine. I organised my runs around my teaching days and knew I loved to run early on a Sunday morning because I was usually the only one around. After about three weeks, it became habit and gradually I felt my ability getting better and better until I managed to run for 40 minutes without stopping. Soon, I'd continued throughout the Christmas period when I had returned home. I'd even had to buy a new pair of trainers, and I was considering signing up for 5kms races when I came back to the UK.

And, unbelievably, I stuck at it. I stress that I am not a sporty girl (or at least, I wasn't!)- I was the girl who hated PE at school. But I think once I'd got myself into the routine and began to see a quick improvement which does happen when you first start, my motivation stayed and it became normal. Now, I can honestly say I love it. Sure I have bad runs, but I've never regretted a run and I think that's key. I'm always pleased I've got out, even if it's only for half an hour, and if I go for even a day or two without running I get a real itch to go again. It's a part of my life, and whenever I feel myself getting a bit reluctant to go, all I have to remember are some of my longest and best runs; absolutely nothing beats reaching the top of a tough hill and being met with the view of a sunrise. 

So if you take anything from this post, take these five points:

1. Don't think you can't run, because everyone can (unless you have injuries, in that case you're forgiven!). All you need is a pair of trainers and headphones. 

2. It's horrible to admit it to yourself but the voices inside your head that say 'go tomorrow', or 'it's a bit early' are excuses and if you really do want to run or exercise more, I promise you'll feel 10 times better once you recognise that and overcome them.

3. Get into a routine. Dedicate a certain time each week and stick to it for a few weeks and it'll start to feel normal.

4. Recognise and appreciate your improvement. You know that tree that you couldn't run to last time? Feel that pride once you pass it because even if it's only by a few metres, that's still an improvement and it'll make you feel epic.

5. Finally, if you ever feel like you 'can't' (the amount of times this word has been through my head is probably in its millions), remember some of my favourite running quotes:





I hope this post has been helpful, I definitely could have done with some reassurance when I first started. So go and get motivated!! And let me know below how you get on! 

2 comments:

  1. I've tried to run a few times and given up!
    It's definitely down to making excuses.
    Thanks for your tips, I think it's time I got those running shoes on again :)

    The Everyday Life of Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rachel :) So pleased to hear you'll be lacing up again!
    I found that eliminating the excuses was probably my biggest hurdle but knowing the outcome will be worth it definitely helps!
    Just taken a look at your blog too by the way - totally love it!

    ReplyDelete